Written and presented by a professional sign language interpreter, the aim of this session is to increase understanding and improve practice amongst healthcare staff in using British Sign Language (BSL) interpreters to communicate with Deaf patients.
- understanding the role of a sign language interpreter
- why a sign language interpreter is necessary to facilitate communication with a Deaf person
- how interpreters can assist healthcare staff as well as the Deaf person
- practical advice on how to work with interpreters in a healthcare setting, including examples of good and bad practice
- practical issues such as who pays for an interpreter
By the end of the session, staff will feel more confident in meeting a Deaf person and working alongside a BSL interpreter. The learning will contribute to improving the experience of Deaf individuals when accessing medical appointments. The session is delivered in webinar format, with opportunity to ask questions.
Or for more information, to make a booking, or to discuss your training needs, please contact us:
Tel: 0161 273 3415 / 07917 368832
If you would like to know more about
any of our services, please get in touch.
Manchester Deaf Centre,
Booth Street East,
MONDAY - FRIDAY
09:00 – 17:00
0161 273 3415
Registered Charity Number: 1110373